Zimbabwe players threaten to boycott Africon

Zimbabwe players are threatening to boycott Africa Cup of Nations (Africon) on opening match against Egypt for the claims that they have not been paid.

According Papers, Zimbabwe players refuse to train for opening tournament, they are demanding to be paid their allowances for the tournament, along with allowances and match fees still owed to them from a regional tournament last month.

According to Skysports, the Zimbabwe Football Association said in a statement that the game against Egypt would go ahead and there was no strike threat, but that was countered by the five players and the team official who spoke to the AP. They said there was still a deadlock in the negotiations.

A player strike to start the tournament, which runs until July 19, would leave African football in a mess.