Woman died after her boyfriend poured with petrol and set her on fire

Woman stayed alive for long enough to make her boyfriend convicted guilty following dosed her with petrol and set her on fire after misunderstanding.

According to Mirror, on 2 August 2015, Judy and Michael were at a petrol station in Gahanna, Ohio. They were having an argument and it escalated. In frustration, Judy threw her fizzy drink at her boyfriend.


In retaliation, Michael poured petrol over Judy in front of other car owners on the forecourt, starting at her head and soaking her right down to her feet. The petrol went down her throat, causing a burning pain as she screamed for help and begged him to stop.

Despite Judy’s pleas, Michael looked down, flicked on his lighter and set her alight. Screams filled the air as Judy staggered onto a grassy area, engulfed in flames.

In December 2016, Michael, 41, was sentenced to 11 years in prison. The maximum time he could get in Ohio for that type of crime.

She recalled that the pain was like ‘a thousand hot needles’ stabbing her body. Judy’s statement was horrific to listen to.


“The look on his face was pure evil,” she recalled. “There are no other words to describe it.”

She couldn’t remember all the details, but there was enough to make it uncomfortable listening as she talked about her fear of dying and leaving her girls.

‘I don’t think words can describe what it feels like to have your whole body set on fire,” she testified.

“I can remember trying to get the fire out of my face and my eyes. I can remember screaming for help. I can remember looking over and seeing him standing there and staring at me.


“And then it got to the point where I couldn’t see anything and everyone’s voices were sounding far away. I thought for sure I was dying. I just prayed to Jesus to please forgive me for my sins and to take care of my children. That was when I blacked out and I don’t remember anything until I woke up in the hospital.”

Judy described the pain of waking up every day and remembering the horrific situation she was in. The many questions from her daughters about their future, and the realisation that she would never fully recover to watch them grow up.

“They say it gets a little better as time goes by, but if one thing heals, another thing hurts. So I have to push myself to make it through every day and I have to really tell myself why I’m doing this,” she said.

Five months after giving her testimony, Judy passed away aged 33. She had lived and fought for nearly two years to tell her story, and left behind her daughters, then aged nine and 13.

Just afterwards, ‘Judy’s Law’ was passed in Ohio which introduced tougher sentences for those who disfigure their victims.

The charges against Michael were upgraded to aggravated murder. A judge made the exceptional decision to allow Judy’s testimony to be used at the trial – the murder victim was able to testify against her own killer, a first for Ohio.

Michael had faced the death penalty, but as part of a deal, received a life sentence without the possibility of parole.