WATCH: Nathi Mankayi denies robbery claims
Nathi Mankayi denies robbery claims after he appeared in court on charges of assault and theft on Tuesday.
According to details obtained by TshisaLIVE, the award winning Afro-pop star and two others appeared in the Alexandra Magistrate’s Court earlier this week on the charges, which she said “needed to be properly formulated”, and were released on a warning. The matter was postponed to April 30 for trial.
Nathi was arrested on Monday after an altercation at the offices of his former manager.
Nathi took to social media on Wednesday night to address the claims and slammed the reports.
“I want to address the things that were written about me. That I was involved in a robbery and arrested for it. I just want clarify that it isn’t true. I am still here and I didn’t rob anybody. On the contrary, I was robbed. I want people to think about this clearly, how could I rob a person I had employed to work for me?”
Nathi said it saddened him to see people trying to destroy him and drag his past convictions into the situation.
“What I’ve realised is that our people, black people, will use a person’s past to remove them from where they are. Yes, I was arrested a long time ago, but I moved past that. I am not that person anymore.
“It was really hurtful to see the things people said. People said things like ‘once a jailbird, always a jailbird’. Others said ‘he’s just going back to what he knows’. Those things are extremely painful. People must try to question and know what they are talking about before they make comments.”
Sowetan’s executive editor Thembela Khamango said the paper stood by its story and had not received any complaint from Nathi over the reports.
“We stand by our story. This was confirmed by the South African Police Service to the Sowetan that Mr Mankayi had been arrested and charged with business robbery. Sowetan has not received any complaints from Mr Mankayi or his manager.”