Kenya confirms first coronavirus case, bans all public events
Kenya bans all public all major events after confirming its first coronavirus case in a woman who had returned to the country from the United States, the health minister, Mutahi Kagwe, said on Friday.
He said that although the patient, a Kenyan, is stable and eating, she will not be released from hospital until she is confirmed negative.
Kenya is second country in East Africa recording coronavirus cases, another country confirming this case so far is Ethiopia.
Kenya also is the 11th country in the region to confirm a case of COVID-19, bringing its total reported cases to 39.
Mr. Kagwe, told a news conference the government had suspended all public gatherings, sporting events, open-air religious meetings and “all events that are of a huge public nature”.
The government says it has traced all contacts the patient made since her arrival.
“We have done all the contact tracing and have all the names including the people who sat next to her on the flights she took,” he said.