Man nabbed for murder, rape of two minors aged 9 and 13

22-year-old man arrested in connection of the rape of two young girls and the murder of one of them in Sebokeng in the Sedibeng District.

According to police spokesperson Brigadier Mathapelo Peters, a police officer responded to a report that children were screaming in a house in the area at around 02:00 on Wednesday morning.

On arrival at the scene, the suspect was found in the house.

“Inside the house, police also found the body of a nine-year old girl who was declared dead on the scene; as well as a 13-year old girl with multiple injuries,” Peters said.

Preliminary reports revealed that both children had been raped, she added.

She said police confiscated weapons believed to have been used to commit the crimes.

Gauteng police commissioner Lieutenant General Elias Mawela has condemned the incident and, together with police management, conveyed condolences to the family of the deceased.

“We can only hope that the swift arrest of the suspect will bring some kind of comfort to the family of the girls. Police must leave no stone unturned in making sure that all bases are covered, [creating] a watertight case, leading up to a successful conviction by the courts,” said Mawela.

Comments