Although we have a lot of fruits but avocado is the best fruit which you supposed to eat at least everyday.
From avocado juice to eating it as a fruit, this fruit is often known as a healthy food. Registered dietitian Jo Lewin walks us through the nutritional highlights of this versatile fruit.
The popularity of the avocado is due to its smooth, soft texture and unusual taste. Avocado is a fruit that belongs to the cinnamon family. There are several types of avocados, ranging in size, color and texture.
They are all native to tropical climates and, when harvested, are smooth and buttery making them popular in everything from mixing in with meals to eating after meals.
Nutritional benefits of avocado
An 80 gram portion of avocado contains:
Protein 6 grams
Fat 5 grams
Carbohydrate 6 grams
Vitamin E 56mg
What are the top 5 health benefits of avocados?
- Avocado is mentioned as a food with many nutrients, while half of the fruit is counted among your five a day. Avocado is an excellent source of fat and contains vitamin E, and is a good source of nutrients. They also provide more fiber than other fruits and contain a number of important minerals including iron, copper and potassium.
- It can support heart health, Avocado is rich in fat with 60 percent of this being natural fat, which research suggests helps protect against heart disease and lower blood pressure. It is also an excellent source of potassium, nutrients and fiber, all of which benefit the heart and cardiovascular system.
- It can help to reduce the fat produced by avocado and the fatty acid of the seed. These unsaturated fats are recommended as part of a healthy diet to help control cholesterol.
- It can help control appetite, there is no doubt that the calorie content of avocado is higher than other fruits and vegetables. However, an interesting study has shown that avocado oil causes a feeling of fullness which helps control appetite.
- It can help to keep healthy eyes Apart from the benefits mentioned above, avocado is a great source of protective vitamin E, as well as supporting healthy eyes.
Is avocado safe for everyone?
Some people may develop an allergy to avocado.
This includes allergies in the mouth which can be caused by rare side effects.
Avocados, along with fruits including apples, peaches, raspberries and blueberries, contain natural chemicals called salicylates.
Some people may experience allergic reactions including skin rash and swelling. If you are concerned about food allergies or have anxiety any, please consult your physician or registered dietitian for guidance.